You're going to want to feel how much more alive the engine is with our standalone. Even on a 100% stock car it makes the difference between feeling flat and boring to lively and exciting. If your car is modified, there's no real practical limit to where you can go.
Upgrade your car with our fully programmable ECU in a matter of minutes without any wiring nightmare.
Designed to be a plug-in replacement for your BMW M52 equipped car. It will control VANOS. The S52 is identical to the M52 in the US market as far as electronics and controls.
The M52 engines are typically found in the BMW e36 platform. The M52 is also used in the e39. If you have an e30 or other car with an engine swap, if it used the original M52 engine wiring harness, it will work with this standalone ECU.
For best results, we recommend Fuel Injector Clinic injectors (click on size for link to product)
|Flow at 3.5bar (stock m52 fuel pressure)
or Injector Dynamics (available here: https://shop.vemstuning.com/products/injector-dynamics-1050x-set-of-6-60mm-length)
We recommend against Fuel Injector Connection and Siemens Deka, and any Chinese clone injectors. Fuel is the lifeblood of your engine. The only component more important than fuel is your crank trigger. The Siemens injectors work well in some applications, we've not seen good results with BMW and VAG applications.
- Fully programmable control of your engine
- Integrated wideband controller
- Control of individual fuel injectors and ignition coils
- Control of the idle valve
- Uses stock sensors (Except CAM Position)
- You must unplug the MAF, so it can be removed to make intake plumbing less complicated
- Easily tune for head work, cams, different pistons, etc.
- Gives the control needed to add a turbo
- Launch control
- Boost control by gear or speed
- 10 pin extra function connector
- 5 analog inputs for sensors or switches
- Second wheelspeed sensor input
- Low power output for LED, transistor switching, etc. Max 300mA
- 2 high power outputs (boost control solenoid, etc.)
- Serial port is wired with power for Bluetooth or Wi-fi modules
- EGT input
- User upgradable firmware
- Excellent, user-friendly tuning software (http://www.vems.hu/vt/)
This kit includes:
- 4bar MAP sensor
- Pre-Calibrated Genuine Bosch LSU4.9 Wideband Sensor
- Documents and optional Cam Sync instructions
By default comes with the LSU4.9 plug. If you prefer LSU4.2 just make a note in the order comments and we'd be glad to adjust that for you.
- Disconnect MAF Sensor
- a. Disconnect CAM Sensor OR b. Replace cam sensor with BMW (Meyle) 12 14 1 438 081 which is the intake cam sensor for the e46 m52tu/m54 engine.
- Remove the factory ECU
- Run the wideband extension/adapter to near where the wideband sensor will be
- Remove the factory O2 sensor and Install the new Bosch wideband sensor in the exhaust
- Plug in the engine wiring harness to the new ECU
- Run a vacuum line to the external MAP sensor. Locating the sensor in the ECU compartment is suggested, but not mandatory
- Connect to the serial port with your computer and turn the ignition on, Connect to the ECU.
- Once connected to the ECU with VemsTune, calibrate the TPS (Tools-> TPS Calibration Wizard)
- Start the car
Unboxing video: https://youtu.be/afFN2hFyv_U
Intake Air Temp/Manifold Air Temp sensor considerations (IAT/MAT):
- If you are keeping the stock M52/S52 sensor, it's already set up
- If you are going to be putting a sensor in the charge pipe, we recommend either a M14x1.5 GM style sensor, or the 3/8NPT version of the same sensor. We have a convenient extension and sensor package available here: IAT Sensor Only
- If you have or will be switching to the M50 manifold, we recommend either a sensor in the charge pipe/intake or using the BimmerWorld modified S52 sensor.
If you don't already have a tuner lined up, it's a great idea to consider our remote tuning offer. M52 Engines can typically be finished up within 2-3 days with log review tunes or in a few hours with a remote dyno session. Available here: https://shop.vemstuning.com/collections/tuning/products/vems-standalone-remote-tune